How to Start & Sustain a Conversation:
- Listen more than you speak-Ask open-ended questions that will require more than a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’.
- Be a good listener- Not sure whether or not the other person is done speaking? A good rule of thumb is to count to two before opening up to speak.
- Paraphrase- A good way to let others know that you’ve heard what they said is by reiterating the point.
Different Kinds of Talk:
- Small Talk- While many people loathe small talk, it can be a great way to get a conversation going as well as break the ice if you’re meeting someone for the first time.
- Medium Talk- This type of talk deals with information specific to a group. For example, two employees might be having a conversation about the companies they represent while others may not be able to participate in the conversation.
- Large Talk- Large talk deals with very specific information.
How to Gain Control of a Conversation:
- Be open and friendly.
- Take risks.
- Be the first to say ‘Hello.”
- Be genuinely interested in people. They’ll be flattered and interested in you.
- Be open to new ideas.
- Accept people as they are.